Thursday, May 17, 2018

To Great Friends - An Art Journal Page

Hi friends,

They say friends are the family you choose for yourself & God has blessed me with some amazing friends who are now like family to me. Recently, I wanted to make a gift for my ever helpful, crazy, amazing crafty friend "Tejal", something that was personalized and woven with  elements that she & 3 of her friends (Saumya, Khushboo & myself) liked.

As Art Journals are my absolute favorite to make, I decided to make a mini, personalized Art Journal or Art Book for Tejal including our favorite quotes, motifs, colors & flowers or things that we like.




I used a 6 by 7 ready chipboard album to create this art journal as I wanted something sturdy and strong as it was going to travel all the way to Ahmadabad from Mumbai, but you could use a 300 gsm card stock for same. This art book contains 10 sides (5 pages back to back) all together. Here's the cover page of the journal.



Tejal's favorite flowers are Hydrangeas. So, I decided to use them as focal point on the cover page. However, when I started making the cover, I realized I didnt have  any Hydrangea stamps. I was on verge of giving up the idea of using Hydrangeas on the cover, when it dawned on me that I had Hydrangea Lawns pattern paper from Dress My Craft that I could use for focal point. The entire page is built around colour scheme of Hydrangea flowers using the heat embossing resist technique with Distress Inks for background as its my absolute favorite technique for background.


Supplies Used:

  • 6 by 7" card stock/ chipboard 
  • Dress My Craft Hydrangea Lawns 6 by 6 paper pack
  • Penny Black Blooming Gardens stamp set
  • Distress Inks: Seedless Preserves, Cracked Pistachio, Peacock Feathers
  • VersaMark Ink
  • WOW! Clear embossing powder
  • Itsy Bitsy 2 in 1 texture paste (used as gesso)
  • Dress My Craft Frosted Sugar Powder
  • Glue, scissors, foam tape, heat gun & blending tools
  • Printed sentiment 


Steps to create:

  • Apply gesso on the card stock/ chipboard base and let it dry. Once dry, apply Cracked Pistachio and Peacock Feathers ink using blending tool. 
  • Once the Distress ink has dried, stamp the flowers using VersaMark ink and heat set using clear embossing powder.
  • Apply Seedless Preserves (over Peacock Feathers) and Peacock Feathers (over Cracked Pistachio) ink to create a beautiful resist technique background.
  • Fussy cut the flowers from Hydrangea Lawns pack. Distress the edges using Seedless Preserves ink  and adhere to the base using glue & foam tape.
  • Apply glue to the edges of the page and sprinkle with Frosted Sugar Powder.
  • To finish the page, adhere the printed sentiment/ quote. 

Hope you love the cover page from this art journal. I shall be back soon with Page 2 of the journal.

I would like to enter this art page at 


Love,
Dr. Neha Sanwalka Rungta
Crafty Flirtations. 

9 comments:

  1. Not only is the beautiful work but your heart shines bright through this project!!!! Thank you once again for making me a part of this gift that you put your blood and sweat into!!! And thanks for sharing the process, maybe I could try it one day. Waiting for the rest pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Saumya for your kind words. your feedback at each stage was of immense help to me :) <3 thanks for being a part of the journey while making this journal. Sharing more pages soon

      Delete
    2. The pleasure was all mine!!!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful page! I love how you created the background by layering the Distress Inks and clear embossing power - amazing 😁. You matched the pretty hydrangeas colours perfectly and the quote is wonderful too! Thanks so much for joining us at Art Journal Journey! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so very much :) it means so much to me :) It was a pleasure participating at Art Journal Journey

      Delete
  3. This is incredible. A perfect cover for your book to a friend. I absolutely love hydrangeas, too, so this spoke to me. I appreciated the various photos and the instructions for making it. Thank you, too, for sharing this with us at Art Journal Journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you love the page and the thought process. It was a pleasure participating at the blog challenge

      Delete
  4. I am sure Tejal will absolutely adore and love your wonderful gift! I am thrilled about this journal! You are a very inspirational artist!
    Really happy to got your blog known and thank you very much for joining us at Art Journal Journey!It is much appreciated!
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words :) <3 it means the world to me :)

      Delete